Monday, February 21, 2011

Shout

Here's our Boulevard of Broken Dreams Prompt, it's been an interesting experience writing it.  When we started in class I wasn't feeling the prompt at all, I couldn't decide on anything for a while until this weekend when I sort of found myself in a dark place.  Here's what came out:

Not a sound, not a look, not a change.  I walk this road alone.  The streets are full but the crowds are empty, only the sound of their hurried footsteps through the rain break the ensuing silence.  The road they walk is broken and uneven, tread by countless broken footsteps from countless broken people.  I walk this road.  With my eyes towards the ground I let the rain drip through my hair as I make my way without cover through the pulsing crowds.  I see familiar places, I walk among the faces, but eyes don't meet, nor hearts collide; nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.  The road is not one, it branches in every way:  alleys, corners, paths, and passages, but few venture off in search of a way out.  From the alleys between the broken, graffitied, buildings, empty eyes look out and watch the masses with transparent looks.  I pass by and risk a glance, but there is no recognition upon their faces. So still I walk alone.  I continue on and soon decide-- I'd rather be alone.   For among the crowds, among the faces, I hear the beating of a universal human heart-- but all I feel is my own.  I look into the eyes of those I pass, desperate to make a connection, but only meet the apathetic gaze of a life all spent.  I stop in the road unable to take it any longer, the thunder rolling overhead and my heart on my sleeve, and do the only thing I can think to do.  I scream.  I yell towards the sky, I shout, I plead to be heard, but on everybody walks.  Not a sound, not a look, not a change.               

2 comments:

  1. Out of all of these that I read this was one of the best! You realzie your not the only one broken the only one lost. Everyone sort of is in their own way. I understand,.

    ReplyDelete