Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dawn

Well, this is it.  Hopefully this is a beginning, not an end:

Dawn

My house is silent as the clock strikes 3:00, and I cannot help but sigh as I sing a familiar refrain that goes like... ♫ Three A.M., a boy sits outside his house lonely with his guitar ♫ The situation is almost funny, and so I laugh anyway and let the sound of my voice echo through the seemingly empty corners of my room.  It's been a long night, but it's not over yet.

My eyes and my heart are as heavy as the open textbook before me, and so for a moment I raise my head to look around the room and see with my soul what my eyes cannot-- because I know that I'm never alone.  At night fallen angels and devil's eyes patiently watch me in wait for the attack; the attack to pry at my mind and drain my soul of joy and peace and hope.  The hope that is my last line of defense.

Now I should be afraid of their invisible touch, but I know they're there and I do not fear; for as the moon reflects the sun I know that I reflect the very light they wish to take.

So though I am surrounded, they do not dare touch me so long as  hold onto that glimmer of hope.  But if there's one thing I know, it's that the night is long and will not give up without a fight.  And so the dark angels pace my room as I try to concentrate over the hum of my laptop.

The clock ticks on and on and it's 5:15 and I've just shut my laptop-- finished and exhausted.  As my body sags and my eyes glaze over, the dark assailants signal the attack and descend upon me; falling on my ears with wholesome lies and sweet whispers of bruising thoughts.  Without a touch they attack, eager to open the way to my soul, but a flicker of hope still surrounds my heart and so they still cannot have it. 

As I lie awake too exhausted to sleep, and while my will-power ebbs away, I turn away from the attack and cling harder to the strand of hope that leads my eyes to the eastern horizon; Soon, I think.  Soon.

The assailants slow, step away, and disappear altogether.  Their time is up.

I look out the window relieved, watching quietly as the dimmest stars fade away, leaving only a dark smudgy sky behind.  As light creeps slowly over the horizon foretelling the coming sunrise, I sink into bed and slowly descend to sleep.  When I awaken I know I will be surrounded by guardian angels, and I will be guided by the hand of God.  But when night falls and devil's eyes watch me once again, I will cling to that hope that ties my eyes to the eastern skies, where no-doubtedly a Dawn will live once again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment